[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Thu Apr 14 06:07:45 UTC 2022

On 4/13/22 22:47, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> I agree.  I think we have a bug with the routeadm thing, but otherwise
> I think people are trying too hard to consider the history when
> thinking about it.  Broadly, I would say:
>
>      - If you don't care beyond "plug in a cable", use NWAM.
>        That's what it's for.  We can and should fix any
>        defects that prevent it working as effectively
>        automatic in simple environments, which would
>        include desktops and laptops and even single-
>        homed servers with simple DHCP addresses.
>
>      - If you want to be in more control, or to have
>        things be more static, disable NWAM.  Use ipadm.
>        You will know when this is you, because your
>        needs will not be met by NWAM.
>
> I wouldn't make it more complex than that.
>

> Cheers.
>
> -- Joshua M. Clulow http://blog.sysmgr.org

Hi!

+1 !

The 'daily driver' for me is a laptop. Mostly i am connected in my home
office with a cable,
sometimes i am sitting in some other room/outside connected via wifi,
or i take it  with me to my parents (oh they're getting old!).
NWAM supports me in this use case.

There are dedicated machines in my home network that have dedicated
network parameters,
and some of them are manually configured. But these are special use
cases in my opinion
which have (plenty of) additional manual configuration so that the use
case can be fulfilled (file/print/sane/mail/NAT/whatever ) - the network
config is only a small part and you will know "if" and "how"..

Greetings,

Stephan