[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Hipster becomes unreachable over network after a certain length of uptime

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Apr 15 16:22:59 UTC 2022

----- Op 12 apr 2022 om 21:12 schreef Discussion list for OpenIndiana openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org:

> This is indeed a bug:
>
>    14006 ipv4-routing should not be enabled by default
>        https://www.illumos.org/issues/14006
>
> I haven't had time to work on it, but I am happy to talk it through
> with people who would like to pick it up and get it fixed!

Should ipv4-routing not be enabled or should it not be installed as part of the 'minimal' server type ?

See:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/8587

I am not sure there is a bug here.   Also I'd say that this is not really an installer bug.

Perhaps there are some arguments for saying that network/routing shouldn't be in the 'minimal' server install type, but then again perhaps there could be very valid arguments for including the package.  The package network/routing seems to be easy to uninstall.

I was able to reproduce the 'problem' (?) of route:default being enabled, easily in the non-NWAM case (option static ip) and non-NWAM case (network None) : on first boot it immediately enables route:default.

As I wrote before I also was able to reproduce the 'problem' (?) of route:default being enabled in the NWAM case (option 1 in the installer) although for the NWAM case, I somehow had to reboot twice, and on first boot I initially noticed that route:default was disabled.

I am writing 'problem' between quotes as it is unclear to me that it is really a problem, although that from a 'disabling unnecessary daemons' perspective (hardening) it could be considered a problem, but thanks to IPS packaging easy to uninstall/fix.

Regards,
David Stes