[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI server failed overnight - some help restoring it!

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Thu Apr 21 04:53:45 UTC 2022

On 4/21/22 05:48, Carl Brewer wrote:
> On 21/04/2022 9:35 am, Carl Brewer wrote:
>>
>> G'day,
>> I have an OI server from ~2 years or so ago that went down overnight
>> - it has 5 HDDs, 2 as a ZFS mirror (root) and 3 as a ZFS raidz
>> array.  I can see all 5 drives when I boot off an OI USB boot image,
>> but I can't see anything more than the output from format, which sees
>> that all 5 exist.
>>
>> zfs list etc don't show me anything
>>
>> Is there a way to try and mount these drives onto the USB boot image
>> and inspect them? Maybe I have a corrupted boot block or something?
>
> As per another email, I think this ended up being a dying power supply
> not providing enough grunt to spin up 5 drives in time.

Good Morning!

Glad you have your system running again!

As you might know in the meantime, these are hints for working with a
non-starting system:

zpool import shows all your pools on a boot with an USB image

zpool import rpool

beadm list

beadm mount ......

bootadm install-bootloader -M -f -P rpool

It is always a good idea to be prepared for such 'events' and have a
booklet with hints and maybe tried out some bad scenarios with a vm...

i am not prepared :-/

Greetings,

Stephan