[OpenIndiana-discuss] About Publisher

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Jan 1 21:24:20 UTC 2022

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] About Publisher, hput via...:

> For a newly installed hipster OS 21.10 (in vbox vm) I see 'publish' set as so:
>
> PUBLISHER       TYPE    STATUS P  LOCATION
> openindiana.org origin  online    http:/pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/
>
> Is there more to be set... I notice when I ran:
>
> pkg install emacs
>
> I'm told it is not permitted on my image.

Andreas already covered that part, and mentioned 'pkg search'.

>I haven't done a full
> update yet.

If it's been a while since the last time you did an update, then updating
will sometimes help.

>Don't know if that will change anything regarding emacs.
> I did some installs, including build-essential with a range of
> compiling and etc tools
>
> I wanted whatever other publishers experienced users have if any.

The most likely other publisher would be hipster-encumbered:

$ pkg publisher
PUBLISHER                   TYPE     STATUS P LOCATION
openindiana.org              origin   online F https://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/
hipster-encumbered (non-sticky) origin   online F https://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-encumbered/
userland       (non-sticky) origin   online F file:///var/local/test-repos/userland/i386/repo/

(ignore userland, that's a local devel repo).

hipster-encumbered generally has software that has licensing or patent
restrictions; if you're going to use it, the responsibility is yours to
make certain you can legally use whatever components you choose to
install.

hipster-encumbered tends to have a lot of multimedia-related libraries
and software, since the restrictions on the various algorithms used by
multimedia software tend to be complex.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)