[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where is the top menus and tools

hput hputn3 at zohomail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:00:28 UTC 2022

Tim Mooney via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> writes:

> In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Where is the top menus and tools, hput...:
>
>> Its the Mate menus and the time slider network connection and etc that
>> are missing.
>
> If you can ssh in to the system or otherwise get access to a login
> shell, there might be something that provides a clue in
>
> 	~/.xsession-errors
>
> Note that there are going to be a *lot* of messages that aren't related
> to the problem you're experiencing.  There's a lot of warning spew from
> various components, especially related to themes.
>
> You may also want to try
>
> 	mv ~/.config ~/.config-BACK
>
> and then logging in again via the LigthDM greeter.  That resets most of
> your desktop config back to a "new" state.  You can experiment with moving
> various directories under ~/.config-BACK back into place in ~/.config, to
> see if you isolate what setting is causing the issue.

Excellent help and well explained, thank you.

I'm sorry now that I got impatient and trashed that vm.  And since
I've gotten a new one pretty far along toward my eventual goal for it.
It may be a while before I start another one and see if I can recreate
the mess I had.  But pretty sure .. in your tips I will find the
solution.