[OpenIndiana-discuss] how to disable caja

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Jan 15 04:18:36 UTC 2022

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] how to disable caja, hput via...:

> I notice the file manager caja in mate desktop pull quite a lot of cpu
> at times.

Can you tell what it's doing when that happens?  If you're familiar with
'truss', you might be able to use that to attach and get an idea of
what's going on.  Truss can print timestamps or time deltas, so it's
possible to have it time what it's doing.

> I never use caja at all.  I'd like to just get rid of it, but suspect
> it might jackup mate so bad I'd have a heck of time getting it
> straightened out again.

That is a definite possibility.

The way it's designed and the way we package it, there are a few packages
that depend upon caja, so if you tried to remove caja using 'pkg' you
would also have to remove other stuff.  That's probably not a useful route
to pursue.

If you're comfortable building your own packages, or if you're interested
in learning that process, you could check out oi-userland and build your
own custom versions of the caja dependencies, to see if you can "cut caja
out" of the dependency graph.  There's an OI document on getting started
with oi-userland,

 	https://docs.openindiana.org/dev/userland/

that more or less walks you through what's involved in building a package
for OpenIndiana.

I don't know if it's even possible to build the dependencies without caja,
but if you're determined, that might be worth investigating.

> So, wondering how one might disable in some harmless way.

To be clear: I'm not recommending this.  My preference would be that you
do some debugging to see *why* caja is behaving poorly.  It might be
something we can address, or at least check to see if upstream is seeing
it too.

Not everyone wants to (or has the time to) debug every problem in their
desktop, though, so I understand that digging in to what's going on with
caja may not be something you want to do.

If that's the case, what you might try to do is move the 'caja' binary
out of the way (save it, but rename it) and replace it with something
simple that runs and doesn't exit, but does basically nothing.

A place to start would be with a script like this:

#!/bin/sh

while true
do
 	sleep 86400
done

exit 0

Make sure it's executable, and then log out of your current session and
log back in.

You may find that this still causes problems, but you can revert by
moving the caja binary that you saved back into place (or by doing a 'pkg
fix caja' after doing a 'pkg verify').

Again, I'm not recommending this.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)