[OpenIndiana-discuss] send/recv multi part zfs filesystem

hput hputn3 at zohomail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:41:16 UTC 2022

setup HOST ubuntu-21.10
Vbox VM OI/hipster
Installed from 2021.04.31
updated 220114; uname -a
   SunOS oi 5.11 illumos-c12f119108 i86pc i386 i86pc

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Having trouble getting send/recv working to expectations.  Maybe
expectations are wrong.

I studied up a bit in oracle docs on send/recv  But skimming thru
again just now I don't see a zfs multipart fs being send/recv'd.
Examples I find are all like: zfs send p0/one at snp | zfs recv p1/one

Maybe using the -R operator but not sure if there are examples of
mutipart zfs fs being send/recv 'ed I hav'nt studied beyond the basic
send/recv.

It looked much more complicated using the -R operator.

So rsynced a bunch of data from a defunct windows machine using
SystemRescue on usb stick to get access to the data.

I rsync'ed some 283 GB of data to ( an OI running from Vbox vm) to
p0/rhosts/2x2/F-win  most of F: drive on the windows mach

rsync -vv -rlptgoD --stats /sdd1/ OI:/rhosts/2x2/F-win

Eventually produced 283 GB of data at OI:/rhosts/2x2/F-win.  All in
the last segment F-win.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

This may be a good place to explain that both file systems I worked on
are setting on separate raidz2 pools.

pool p0 has 9 180GB discs
pool p1 has 6 190GB discs

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

I then decided to try my hand at send/recv but on the one machine zfs
fs to zfs fs.

I created a similarly named p1/rhosts/2x2/F-win

unmounted both fs and:

zfs send p0/rhost/2x2/F-win at snap | zfs recv -F p1/rhosts/2x2/F-win

And that started working but I had so much trouble from floundering
like a large trout for hours that I gave up on it waiting to learn
more.

I did get the data moved from the win-mach to OI at least.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

OK, so I have a question or two but will start with this:

Is it even possible to send/recv a multi segmented zfs FS to another
multi segmented zfs fs.

Or is it necessary to break it down so you are sending only 1 segment
at one time.

so like: p0/rhosts at snap to  p1/rhosts

         p0/rhosts/2x2 at snap to p1/rhosts/2x2

And so on till all segments are sent.

I'd be happy enough to learn the way just above (send 1 segment at a
time) is best but would really like to

send/recv pool0/seg1/seg2/seg3 all at once to pool1/seg1/seg2/seg3

One thing that seems dubious is that I'd be faced with which snapshot
to use and I think that might rule the whole thing out.

In fact I think I just talked myself out of the whole idea of sending all
'segs' at once.