[OpenIndiana-discuss] Advice for setting up a build zone with a different subnet than the main network interface

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 13:31:30 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you would have some recommendations for setting up the
crossbow configuration on a new server at university.

The machine has 3 networking interfaces:
- one bge0 with an address 10.202.96.14/24 given by the university's dhcp
server, that cannot be changed, I only have the right to get one IP,
gateway is 10.202.96.254.
- two 25Gb Mellanox interfaces configured as static addresses for serving
file shares to two other machines.

Until now I have used NWAM for the configuration by creating a specific NCP
then I had created a virtual NIC named vnic0 for the zone, and another br0
used as gateway with dladm/ipadm then  forwarding/routing rules from vnic0
-> br0 -> bge0 and masquerading from bg0 with a map in /etc/ipf/ipnat.conf.
The virtual subnet was such that vnic0 got address 10.202.254.1 and br0
10.202.254.100 with the appropriate netmask (16 I think).

However this setup breaks after the reboot because the NWAM configuration
creates temporary "objects".
Also I am not sure if this virtual nic serving as a gateway is
necessary, or if an etherstub should be used.

Do you have any pointer or recommendation for such a setup with a zone on a
virtual private subnet?

Kind regards,

Aurélien

--