[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem replacing a disk by a bigger one: not yet solved

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Fri Jul 1 17:57:59 UTC 2022

> On 1. Jul 2022, at 19:58, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>

> On 7/1/22 13:17, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>>
>>> On 1. Jul 2022, at 13:33, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be <mailto:marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> Currently, If I try to boot the openindiana disk (Windows and Openindiana are on 2 different SSD) on this HP elitebook 820G3,
>>>
>>> If I try to boot it uefi, I come back to the general booting menu of HP,
>> This may be because of secure boot
> sure
>> , we do not support secure boot. If your system does provide efi shell, you can try to start efi/boot/bootx64.efi manually (should be accessible from path like fs*:\… ) - sometimes manual start will tell, why it failed to start.
>>
>>> If I try to boot it legacy, I get on the screen
>>>
>>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>>>
>>> BIOS drive D: is disk1
>>>
>>> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
>>>
>>> ZFS: can't read MOS of pool rpool
>>>
>>> Can't find /boot/loader
>>>
>>> Can't find /boot/zfsloader
>>>
>>> illumos/x86 boot
>>>
>>> Default: /boot/loader
>>>
>>> boot:
>>>
>> if you enter on boot: prompt: status - what does it tell?
>
> Interesting. If I type "status" at the boot: prompt, it says
>
> devices:
>
> Disk 0:  Bios Drice C (234441648 x 512)
>
> disk0s1  Solaris 2  111GB
>
> disk0s1a: root  111 GB
>
> disk0s1i: boot  6172 KB

There you have MBR + VTOC in Solaris2 partition - we can only boot with BIOS mode with this setup (no MBR EFI partition (type code 239).

> Disk 1:  Bios Drive D (500118192 x 512
>
> disk1p1:  EFI 100 MB
>
> disk1p2: unknown  16MB
>
> disk1p3: DOS/Windows  237 GB
>
> disk1p4: Unknown 522MB

This one is interesting - only partition 1 and 3 are known, it should not affect us, its just interesting (we should see illumos ZFS there).

Much more interesting are partition sizes. If p3 is really windows, then p2 or p4 do not have enough space to store rpool — ould expect to see minimum some 16GB or so (/ file system should take some 5+ GB of space).

rgds,
toomas