[OpenIndiana-discuss] Flag day: python mediator changed

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 8 20:21:56 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Today we have merged some changes regarding our pythons. Before these
changes we had two python related mediators, named python and python3.
As python version 2.x reached end-of-line some time ago and dealing with
two mediators was error-prone we decided to get rid of one of them.
With these changes the mediator named python3 has been completely
removed. When you update your installation there will only be the
meditor named python left for python related mediator settings. You may
want to check its actual value:
pkg mediator python

Most probably its value will be 2.7. With this setting /usr/bin/python
is a symlink to python2.7.
Maybe you want to change this to a more modern python version, eg.
pfexec pkg set-mediator -V3.9 python

We intend to remove python2.7 in the near future. You need to be aware
that setting the python mediator to 2.7 may not result in what you expect.
Many mediated links have already been removed for python2.7 packages and
changing the python mediator settings to 2.7 may leave your system
without some symlinks.
Thus, if you still rely on python2.7 you shouldn't change the mediator
settings and keep it at 2.7. You won't be able to completely return to it.
Most users may want to change it to one of our python3 versions, though.

Regards,
Andreas