[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem replacing a disk by a bigger one

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Tue Jun 28 08:38:13 UTC 2022

Hello, more information below on this problem

On 6/27/22 17:33, Marc Lobelle wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for your help._/I also found a good step by step guide at
> https://omnios.org/info/migrate_rpool. /_(There are other ones, but
> over 10 years old) The only change I had to make was using the guid
> for the source disk and the complete real path name to the new device
> ( even /dev/dsk/..., which is a symlink did not work) in zpool attach.
> The need to use the GUID is a known old  bug that was supposed to have
> been fixed. I do not know why I had the use the full pathname of the
> new disk. Maybe it is due to the fact that the new disk was connected
> to a usb adaptor.

So what I did is

# zpool attach rpool 9083243097870587132
/devices/pci at 0,0/pci103c,807c at 14/storage at d/disk at 0,0:q

# bootadm install-bootloader -P rpool

> However my bios could not boot from this usb disk when I tried to
> place it in the internal slot, so I rebooted the old internal disk,
> with the usb disk connected . Then I detached old internal disk and
> now the notebook runs on the external disk.

# zpool detach rpool c6t0d0s0

# zpool status
   pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
   scan: resilvered 30,5M in 0 days 00:00:01 with 0 errors on Mon Jun 27
16:30:25 2022
config:

         NAME STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         rpool ONLINE       0     0     0
/devices/pci at 0,0/pci103c,807c at 14/storage at d/disk at 0,0:q ONLINE       0
0     0

errors: No known data errors

   pool: szpool
  state: ONLINE
   scan: none requested
config:

         NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         szpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
           /dev/lofi/1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors