[OpenIndiana-discuss] how's the Illumos kernel on Intel 12th gen?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Mar 8 08:30:31 UTC 2022

All-

It's possible I might be getting a new workstation at my workplace.  I'm
lucky in that my employer will allow me to run OI on it, but I'm limited
to purchasing from Dell or HP Enterprise (HPE).

My preference would be to go with AMD Ryzen 5XXX processor, but neither
vendor offer much for AMD and I don't think OI will work on it anyway,
so I'm probably going to be looking at Intel processors.

How well does the Illumos kernel handle Intel 12th gen CPUs, with the
performance/efficiency (P/E) cores?  Is anyone using OI or an Illumos
distro on a 12th gen system for day-to-day work?

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)