[OpenIndiana-discuss] io errors in rpool, was surprising error when I try to install a package

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Mar 10 14:13:01 UTC 2022

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2022:02:16 at 2022-03-04-09:38:53:/var/pkg/state/known/catalog.dependency.C
>> rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2022:02:16 at install:/usr/share/doc/dbus/api/group__DBusMessageInternals.html
>> rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2022:02:16 at install:/usr/share/doc/libsigc++-2.0/reference/html/inherit_graph_24.png
>> rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2022:02:16 at install:/usr/share/doc/libsigc++-2.0/reference/html/modules.html
>> Loosing a few blocks on a 1 TB ssd is acceptable if the OS can avoid using these faulty blocks in the future. What does zpool do if I do a zpool clear: the faults will disappear from the status but will the faulty blocs be avoided henceforth ?
>>
>> The corrupted files are lost but, if I do "pkg refresh --full; pkg update -v", I assume they will be replaced.
>>
>> However if the faulty blocks are not removed from the list of usable blocks, the faults will happen again and the drive must be considered as lost and to be replaced
>

> This is basically 'replace ssd and restore from backup’ case, I’m afraid.

Why would that be?  It does not seem that those files are important.
It is true that the listed files are lost/corrupted but if they are
overwritten with repaired files, then new blocks would be used.

The main problem could be that it is possible that the SSD is on a
permanent downhill trend and more issues will occur later.

The corrupted files could also be a product of RAM memory which lacks
ECC protection and has taken a hit.  A thorough memory test is in
order to make sure that all is ok.

It seems to me that clear is definitely worth trying but it is
important to consider this to be an early warning of possible doom.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt