[OpenIndiana-discuss] how's the Illumos kernel on Intel 12th gen?

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sat Mar 12 06:41:13 UTC 2022

----- Op 11 mar 2022 om 18:30 schreef stes stes at telenet.be:

> I use OpenIndiana on a Dell Precision 3640 with
> an Intel i3 10th generation CPU and it installed easily and works fine
> day-to-day.
>
> I'm using a SATA book disk (I didn't try SSD).
>
> I've documented my findings at
> http://docs.openindiana.org/community-hcl/systems.

Sorry small typo, I meant "a SATA boot disk" not a "book disk" of course.

In the configurator you can select a chassis type such as for example:

   Precision 5820 Tower 950 W chassis CL

so with that chassis type, during configuration, you can then select a SATA hard disk as boot disk for the OS.

I have no experience with SSD disks which are more or less the default for the Precision, and which you can change,
by selecting a different chassis type (in the Optiplex and Alienware series the only option is boot from SSD, I think).

That is not to say that SSD does not work, certainly not, I just didn't try it, if it works, please document so in the community-HCL.

Anyway if you're looking at Intel CPU's, the Intel Xeon cpu of the Precision 5820 is perhaps an option to consider.

Regards,
David Stes