[OpenIndiana-discuss] Backup for ZFS filesystems

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 26 21:03:12 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 05:28:35PM -0600, Judah Richardson wrote:
> I assume you know there are gazillion ways to implement this, but if you
> want an out of the box ZFS solution I'd say the *easiest* (note the
> emphasis) option is either a TrueNAS Server
> <https://www.truenas.com/systems-overview/> or a BYOD/DIY TrueNAS Core
> <https://www.truenas.com/truenas-core/> system.

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in my response.
That may be easy, but it's not really what I wanted.  I'd prefer
something that ran on my existing backup server.

> znapzend <https://www.znapzend.org/>, using this guide
> <https://dev.to/jdrch/how-to-setup-znapzend-with-local-backup-on-openindiana-1f0p>.

Ah, that sounds promising.  I'll investigate further, but it may be
exactly what I wanted.  I see that ZnapZend already has an OI package,
making it easy to install.

I had been using zetaback, from OmniTI.  It also has an OI package.
I may continue to use that product.