[OpenIndiana-discuss] Backup for ZFS filesystems

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 30 15:14:49 UTC 2022

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 02:57:13PM -0700, Joshua M. Clulow via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> You may wish to investigate "zrepl" as well, which has some neat features:
>
>     https://zrepl.github.io/

ZnapZend and zrepl are actually very similar in function: they both do
replication of ZFS filesystems.  I wondered at first that these two
backup systems had no facilites for restores, like you get with a
traditional backup system.  However, I soon realized that if you had a
replica, you could just copy a file to restore it.  Alternatively, you
could recreate an entire filesystem from a replica.

The system I used formerly, zetaback, only stored "zfs send" streams on
the backup device.  That's something that's failure-prone, according to
all the ZFS documents I've read.

The only disadvantage of zrepl that I've encountered so far is that it
does not have an OI package.