[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to straighten out an /etc/passwd /etc/opasswd mess I've created

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:03:04 UTC 2022

Hi

A quick and dirty way of regenerating without your changes to the system is.

0. Create a backup boot environment where you still can log in.
1. Be logged in as root.
2. backup the files "mv /etc/passwd{,.bak}" for /etc/group /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow. use mv so the files are not present for the next step,
as pkg would try to update them otherwise as they are marked as
configuration files
3. run 'pkg fix -v' to generate new /etc/passwd /etc/group and
/etc/shadow files from the packages installed in the system image. pkg
should tell you exactly the actions it is going to take.
4. use useradd to add users again that you added manually.

Hope this helps
Greetings
Till