[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS tolerance

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Sat Oct 29 17:43:09 UTC 2022

Hi Till,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm deliberately trying to push the envelope. I believe that ZFS will
act as a buffer between drives and run at the slowest device speed, but
I'm wondering if there is a threshold where ever ZFS will throw up its
hands and give up.

I'm trying to make a ZFS pool focused on resilience, while using drives
that are already laying around. Performance is understandably going to
take a hit.

The vision is a pool consisting of a number of mirrored vdevs.

I mean... if I had a load of hard drives on SATA and connected another
drive via SATA to USB adaptor, would ZFS still handle it and slow down,
or would it throw a fit?

Many thanks,

Michelle.