[OpenIndiana-discuss] vim 9 problem

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Mon Oct 31 18:45:44 UTC 2022

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 07:52, Predrag Zecevic via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
> with recent OI updates, I got this version of vim installed:
>
> :; vim --version
> VIM - Vi IMproved 9.0 (2022 Jun 28, compiled Oct 26 2022 09:11:22)
>
> But, when calling it (using same ~/.vimrc for years), it throws an error:
>
> :; vim ~/.vimrc +370
> Error detected while processing ~/.vimrc:
> line  370:
> E609: Cscope error: /bin/sh: exec: cscope: not found
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>
> Problem is fixed with:
>
> :; pfexec pkg install -v  pkg:/developer/cscope
>
> So, I guess 'cscope' should be installed as dependency package for this
> 'vim' version.
> Presumably, previous version was using some internal 'cscope'
> funtcion/plugin...
>
> Of course, I am not sure that my conclusion is right one.

It seems like an optional package, though, right?  If you use the
_stock_ vimrc does it also produce this error, or is that just with
your custom vimrc?

Dependencies like this are a trade-off between several kinds of
convenience.  A minimal installation almost certainly wants to include
vim, but might not want to include more developer-focused tools like
cscope.  If vim depends on cscope, even though its use is optional,
that is no longer possible.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow