[OpenIndiana-discuss] After locked up zpool scrub, BIOS not recognizing HDDs to boot

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Mon Sep 26 04:59:31 UTC 2022

On 25/09/2022 6:59 pm, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:

>> On 25. Sep 2022, at 02:33, Carl Brewer <carl at bl.echidna.id.au> wrote:
>>

>> I have a ~3 year old PC, generic motherboard, OI hipster 'something', that last night, I had to force a reboot on, because a zpool scrub was jammed up and nothing would kill it.  The scrub was on a raidz pool, not the boot drives, so I figured it would probably be ok. I was wrong!
>

> Assuming up to date system, this *may* indicate issue related to disk controller.

It's possible, but I think pretty unlikely.  When I booted it off the
USB drive, I could import all the existing zpools - that's how I rescued
the VirtualBox VDI's and got them up quickly.

>> Any hints for how to reinstall a boot environment onto an existing zfs mirror?  If I have to do a full reinstall onto it, that's not a total disaster, I got what I needed off it, but it would be interesting to do.  I haven't yet gone through the BIOS settings to be certain it's not some stupid BIOS default around UEFI or something, but I didn't change the BIOS myself, I suspect that it isn't the problem.
>>

> With 3 years old, was it actually using UEFI or BIOS boot? If firmware does not recognize disk as bootable, it may suggest that FAT32 in ESP is damaged or for BIOS, MBR signature is bad or like. In any case, it should not require reinstall, bootadm install-bootloader -f might be enough.

I'm about to pull it out of my racks and get it on a desk and work on
it, I'll try that first, thank you - do I need to do it to both drives
in the zpool mirror, or does mirroring take care of that for me?

> If you still do want to reinstall, openindiana installer does provide option to use existing pool on very first screen (press F5). However, that option will leave some manual work for you (creating users etc).

The machine has just the one user, so that's an easy path. All it does
is host some VirtualBox guests. I want to update to the latest OI
anyway, so not unhappy if I have to go this way.

Thank you

Carl