[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dell UEFI BIOS update and OpenIndiana

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Tue Sep 27 14:31:26 UTC 2022

On 27/09/2022 6:47 pm, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:

> The Dell UEFI BIOS 1.17 for Dell Precision seems to work fine for me (UEFI) with  Secure Boot disabled (which I think is the default for Dell Precision).
>
> Is someone keeping a list of supported / tested BIOS firmware versions ?
>
> For me Dell BIOS 1.17 is reported in OpenIndiana as:
>
> # prtdiag -v | head
> System Configuration: Dell Inc. Precision 3640 Tower
> BIOS Configuration: Dell Inc. 1.17.0 08/12/2022
>
> ==== Processor Sockets ====================================
>
> Version                          Location Tag
> -------------------------------- --------------------------
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU @ 3.60GHz
>

> Perhaps there could be a specific documentation page for community provided tested BIOS versions.

Once upon a time there was a HCL, but it seems to be long dead.

My BIOS's :

root at hog:/slow/backups/VMs# prtdiag -v | head

System Configuration: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H370M-D3H
BIOS Configuration: American Megatrends Inc. F2 02/13/2018

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz U3E1

root at skaro:/slow/backups/VMs#  prtdiag -v | head
System Configuration: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B460MAORUSPRO
BIOS Configuration: American Megatrends Inc. F4 08/28/2020

Version                          Location Tag
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz U3E1

And one that's too old for prtdiag! :

carl at hostie:~# prtdiag -v | head
prtdiag: failed to open SMBIOS: System does not export an SMBIOS table
carl at hostie:~#