[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB Protocol

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Tue Apr 18 09:58:07 UTC 2023

I had an incident with a backup set and I thought I'd ask if there are
any extra steps/commands I can take/do when adding and removing USB
external drives.

Basically, HP Gen 10 Plus running the latest Hipster, updated a few
weeks ago.

Hooking up an 8th external drive with a ZFS set on it (I actually have
two) ... and I had previously backed up to both of them with rsync a
week-ish ago.

Come last night, I hook up one drive, import the zpool, do the rsync,
export the rpool and switch off the caddy. Then put the other drive in,
switch the caddy on and attempt an import, but there was no pool on the
drive.

I had to re-create the pool and do a full rsync.

I'm putting this down to bad hygine on my part and I was wondering
whether there is anything I can do to improve my handling of using
external USB caddys for backup.