[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMB NFS not sure where to go

Michelle michelle at msknight.com
Mon Aug 7 06:21:35 UTC 2023

OI server is at...
             OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 (powered by illumos)

Client is Linux Mint...
Distributor ID:	Linuxmint
Release:	21
Codename:	vanessa

I'm continuing to have problems with SMB shares. Even mounting with no
cache...
sudo mount //192.168.0.2/jaguar /mnt/jaguar -o
username=michelle,password=password,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,cache=
none
//192.168.0.2/jaguar on /mnt/jaguar type cifs
(rw,relatime,vers=3.0,cache=none,username=michelle,uid=0,noforceuid,gid
=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.0.2,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,soft,nounix
,mapposix,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actime
o=1)

(for info, the UID of michelle is the same on client and server)
...I'm getting, "resource unavailable," on various read-write/rename
operations including deleting files. Say, sixty files, three will fail
to delete giving "resource unavailable" and then I have to delete them
again, and they'll go.

When the Linux client hits resource unavaialble, there's nothing in the
Linux messages and nothing in the OI /var/adm/messages either, that
gives a hint of what's going on.

Having hit a brick wall with CIFS, I'm trying to configure an NFS share
against user rather than machine IP, but I'm getting nowhere.

zfs set sharenfs='rw=.:michelle' panther
cannot set property for 'panther': 'sharenfs' cannot be set to invalid
options

I'm tying myself in knots because it seems that there's "legacy" NFS,
ZFS NFS with different options/restrictions and I'm not sure where to
go. If I read correctly, only ZFS NFS is installed by "default" on a
new OI installation, but I'm not about to start going installing stuff
until I have a better idea what I'm doing.

One reason I set some shares against user permissions is to protect
against ransomware. I unmount and re-mount rw when I want to write to
them, hence pure hostip is a problem for me.

I don't know where I'm looking for either option.

Hence the decision to look to NFS (which I've never really had to
handle before) and I'm hitting trouble there.

Grateful for thoughts and advice.

Michelle.