[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMB NFS not sure where to go

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon Aug 7 08:16:22 UTC 2023

> On 7. Aug 2023, at 11:12, Michelle <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Toomas,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I'll update both servers and run more tests.
>
> Michelle.

For SMB, uid/gid sync is not important, you will access the share with authenticated user (or guest).

With NFS auth sys mechanism, the usernames and uid/gid need to match, and your nfsv4_domain should match with client system  setting (or your access will be mapped to user ’nobody’).

rgds,
toomas

> On Mon, 2023-08-07 at 10:56 +0300, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss
> wrote:
>>

>>> On 7. Aug 2023, at 09:21, Michelle <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> OI server is at...
>>>             OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 (powered by illumos)
>>

>> Please run ‘pkg update’. We have had many updates since 2022.
>>

>>> Client is Linux Mint...
>>> Distributor ID: Linuxmint
>>> Release:        21
>>> Codename:       vanessa
>>>
>>> I'm continuing to have problems with SMB shares. Even mounting with
>>> no
>>> cache...
>>> sudo mount //192.168.0.2/jaguar /mnt/jaguar -o
>>> username=michelle,password=password,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,ca
>>> che=
>>> none
>>> //192.168.0.2/jaguar on /mnt/jaguar type cifs
>>> (rw,relatime,vers=3.0,cache=none,username=michelle,uid=0,noforceuid
>>> ,gid
>>> =0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.0.2,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,soft,no
>>> unix
>>> ,mapposix,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,ac
>>> time
>>> o=1)
>>>
>>> (for info, the UID of michelle is the same on client and server)
>>> ...I'm getting, "resource unavailable," on various read-
>>> write/rename
>>> operations including deleting files. Say, sixty files, three will
>>> fail
>>> to delete giving "resource unavailable" and then I have to delete
>>> them
>>> again, and they'll go.
>>>
>>> When the Linux client hits resource unavaialble, there's nothing in
>>> the
>>> Linux messages and nothing in the OI /var/adm/messages either, that
>>> gives a hint of what's going on.
>>>
>>> Having hit a brick wall with CIFS, I'm trying to configure an NFS
>>> share
>>> against user rather than machine IP, but I'm getting nowhere.
>>>
>>> zfs set sharenfs='rw=.:michelle' panther
>>
>> access list used with rw does not allow to set per user access, see
>> share_nfs(8). It should interpret michelle as hostname, but I’m not
>> sure why it will complain about invalid option below.
>>
>>> cannot set property for 'panther': 'sharenfs' cannot be set to
>>> invalid
>>> options
>>>
>>> I'm tying myself in knots because it seems that there's "legacy"
>>> NFS,
>>> ZFS NFS with different options/restrictions and I'm not sure where
>>> go. If I read correctly, only ZFS NFS is installed by "default" on