[OpenIndiana-discuss] Scrub on single ZFS volume

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Dec 1 16:09:41 UTC 2023

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023, Michelle wrote:

> OK - so basically, even though it can't repair damage, (as there is no
> parity) at least it can flag up that checksums didn't check.

I just noticed this email now.  In addition to ordinary user file
data, zfs stores redundant metadata so if a bit of the metadata is
corrupt, it may be able to repair it using a good copy.  This is a
reason to still scrub single-disk pools.

A reason to scrub single-disk pools periodically is to help discover
when the disk is going bad so it can be replaced before there is much
data loss.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn