[OpenIndiana-discuss] DNS server and domain from DHCP?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 20 20:19:52 UTC 2023

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 06:32:13PM +0000, Philip Kime wrote:

> * Where can I find the dns server and domain settings in SMF? I
>    tried looking in dns/client but I can't see config/nameserver
>    property in there.

You first have to decide if you want the domain name mapping to IP
address to be externally visible, like ibm.com or cbc.ca, or if you do
not.  In the first case, you need to purchase a domain (actually rent)
unless you have already done that.  In the second case, the easiest
thing is to use the domain name that your ISP's DHCP server has
assigned to your computer.  If you are unable to do that, the whole
thing becomes more complicated.