[OpenIndiana-discuss] My Firefox tab has crashed

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 18 22:24:28 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 07:07:38PM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:
> Whenever I tell Firefox to show me www.royalbank.com, and click on the
> Sign In box, it tells me that my tab just crashed.  This behavior just
> started happening today.  It happens before I get an opportunity to
> authenticate.  I get the same thing on a newly-upgraded BE as I do
> from one that's about a year old.  The curious thing is that Firefox
> on Linux works perfectly with this same URL.  That's the only way I
> can access my bank now.

Thanks to private e-mail from Geoff Weiss, I learned a few things and
found the solution.  The underlying cause is a Firefox bug that only
shows up on systems that use VESA graphics.  All of my OI systems use
VESA graphics because OI does not have a kernel driver for Radeon
video cards.  Firefox is testing for Webgl graphics, and doing it
badly.

The solution for VESA graphics is:

    go to about:config
    set webgl.disabled to true

Both recent versions of Firefox on OI, that I tested, seem to have
the bug.  Newer versions of Firefox will be better.