[OpenIndiana-discuss] What would the steps be needed to host a website on OpenIndiana?

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Wed Feb 22 22:55:45 UTC 2023

On 23/02/2023 6:17 am, Mike Carroll wrote:
> I know I need the necessary software life php, mariadb, etc. I am specifically not sure where to start looking for the information on nameservers and stuff.

Given that to host a website could mean anything from a basic flat HTML
server (eg Apache, nginx etc) through to a whole complex CMS, that's a
pretty big question!

You don't need to host a DNS server to host a website. Same with email.
You might *want* to, but you don't *have* to.

OI, like every UNIX variant since the 1980's, has a built in DNS server
(BIND), an email server (Sendmail or Postfix), mail clients (mailx),
bundled up IMAP and POP servers (cyrus, dovecot), a web server (apache)
and so on.  If you want to use PHP (urgh ...) or some other language to
make smarts, they're bundled up too.

Carl