[OpenIndiana-discuss] Automatic install

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:24:39 UTC 2023

On 03.01.23 11:46, Marcel Telka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install OpenIndiana on few machines.  To get the same
> (and easily reproducible) results I'd like to utilize some kind of
> automatic installation.
>
> Since AI (auto_install) was removed from OpenIndiana about 5 years back
> there seems to be no way to do the automatic OpenIndiana installation
> now.
>
> Any suggestion?
>

> Thanks.

Hi Marcel

If you would like to beta test you could try my illumos-installer work [0]

You will need rustup, cargo and cargo-make installed. cargo-make can be
installed via `cargo install cargo-make` then run `makers package_ips`
to build and IPS package under the cargo target directory. You will need
an image to `dd` to the disk. One can use the illumos image builder to
generate one from IPS packages.

It will require some scripting I could only get the config process
reasonably automated thus far. Installing an image or from packages with
pkg -r will require a ramdisk ISO and a shellscript. Although it is
probably the easiest to modify the existing ISO in distro const and then
having a service method do the lifting of grabbing the install shell
script and executing it.

[0] https://github.com/Toasterson/illumos-installer
[1] https://github.com/jclulow/omnios-image-builder