[OpenIndiana-discuss] warning message

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Jan 3 17:50:32 UTC 2023

Sorry to come back to this older issue but the Illumos developers confirmed,
that the UNIX Illumos kernel changed and is now using WWN world wide name for SATA disks.

The kernel has some new improvements.

It is different in OI-2022.11 compared to older versions of OI
(due to the new kernel behaving different than the other).

I'm not a kernel developer but I'd say it looks like a possibly interesting improvement.

The WWN can be seen by using the command (if you use SATA disks in the rpool) :

   zdb -C rpool

to check the rpool configuration which will now list the WWN of the SATA disks,
while in the past for SATA disks it would list an INQUIRY string.

For spare disks, I'm not sure if anything should be done.
Presumably NOTICE messages can be ignored.

Possibly it could perhaps help to "zpool remove" the spare disk,
add it to a temporary pool "zpool create temppool" and then destroy the temppool again ??
The temppool would write a WWN label in the ZFS header.

Anyway if you'd boot then an older kernel, the old kernel would complain about the WWN in the ZFS header,
as it expects an INQUIRY based string.

Possibly the issue here is that the spare disk still has an old label with the INQUIRY string,
instead of the WWN.

But it appears that the kernel is fully automatically converting the zpool to the new WWN label scheme either way,
if you move to a new kernel, or if you revert move back to an old kernel.

This worked for me in a zpool SATA disk mirror with a Seagate and Western Digital disk ...

Regards,
David Stes