[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem adding a mirror disk to rpool

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Jan 3 18:11:55 UTC 2023

----- Op 3 jan 2023 om 17:54 schreef stes at PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be:

> You could try to run with the -M option but this may not be such a good idea:
>

> "       -M
>
>           On x86 systems, in an install-bootloader operation, additionally
>           installs the system boot loader to the MBR (master boot record). For
>           more information, see the discussion of install-bootloader in the
>           SUBCOMMANDS section.
>
>           This option is not supported on non-x86 systems, and it is an error
>           to specify it."
>

> I ran this option on the whole disks in an rpool mirror BUT ... as indicated
> this is a mirror with "whole disk".
>
> Your rpool mirror is different as it seems to be built on a slice.

I should add that I ran the -M option but it did not work, it was not the right option for me in my case,
which differs by the fact that it's using whole disks.

In my case with the UEFI boot (Dell BIOS 1.18) I think the above -M option did just alter the s1 slice.

In my case it seems the zpool create automatically made a s0 slice which is formatted with a PCFS (vfat) filesystem.

So I did not make the s0 partition, the zpool consists of "whole disk" entries:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

the d0 is the whole disk and there is no "s0" slice indicated.

The s0 slice is (in my case) a pcfs EFI filesystem for UEFI boot.

# mount -F pcfs /dev/rdsk/c4t2d0s0 /tmp/mnt
# cd /tmp/mnt
# find .
.
./EFI
./EFI/Boot
./EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
./EFI/Boot/bootia32.efi

I believe that the Dell UEFI is using the pcfs filesystem in the slice as EFI boot entries.

So the manpage of bootadm is not indicating what should be done in this case,
but I think bootadm install-bootloader -M did not work for me.

Regards,
David Stes