[OpenIndiana-discuss] how to re-install xorg-video and old nvidia driver after update?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Jan 26 06:08:17 UTC 2023

All-

tl;dr: how do I get xorg-video reinstalled after removing it and
nvidia-390, and then installing nvidia at 525.85.5?

Full story:

I normally don't go too long between OI updates so that I avoid problems
like this, but in this case I hadn't updated since mid-April 2022.

When I tried to update tonight, I got many pages of variants of this:

pkg update: The following packages all deliver driver actions to nvidia:

   pkg://openindiana.org/driver/graphics/nvidia@525.85.5,5.11-2023.0.0.0:20230120T085106Z
   pkg://openindiana.org/driver/graphics/nvidia-390@390.157,5.11-2022.0.0.0:20221123T085801Z

These packages cannot be installed together. Any non-conflicting subset
of the above packages can be installed.

The following packages all deliver driver actions to nvidia_modeset:

   pkg://openindiana.org/driver/graphics/nvidia-390@390.157,5.11-2022.0.0.0:20221123T085801Z
   pkg://openindiana.org/driver/graphics/nvidia@525.85.5,5.11-2023.0.0.0:20230120T085106Z

To get the update to proceed, I ended up needing to do this:

 	pkg uninstall /driver/graphics/nvidia-390 /driver/graphics/nvidia \
 		xorg-video

After that, I was able to pkg update to current latest.

It turns out that may have been a mistake, though, because although I can
get the nvidia at 525.85.5  to install, I get this in the Xorg.0.log:

[   381.935] (WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU installed in this system is
[   381.935] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
[   381.935] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
[   381.935] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     information.  The 525.85.05 NVIDIA driver will ignore this

So, it looks like I need to somehow get back to the nvidia-390 driver.
Any suggestions on how to do that and still run a recent update?  I could
my system up to date.

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)