[OpenIndiana-discuss] list archives?

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 17:30:30 UTC 2023

On 20.07.23 21:15, James Madgwick wrote:

> So it is not possible to have a new domain to host the mailman site
> pages (say lists.openindiana.org)?
Nope, I tried I would need to hack the database and I have to hack that
admin account first.... Mailman basically binds the list to the domain.

> r/OpenIndiana and r/illumos have been around a while and don't get much
> traffic. While this decentralised stuff is interesting, I'm not sure
> it would be much more popular than Reddit.

It actually is looking at the engagement the other illumos projects get.

> I would hope that any migration would continue to support the old way
> of doing things, at least for a while. Otherwise there would be a risk
> of the community being lost for good.
>
> Something which could help as an interim step would be a site using
> something like Ponymail (https://ponymail.apache.org/). This allows
> users to easily browse the list online and to reply online.

Yeah Topicbox is basically a competitor to Ponymail with a hosted setup
ontop of illumos and is currently hosting almost all other illumos
project. Unfortunately the admin for illumos.org is currently on hiatus
to finish all the stuff Oxide has been working on. Until he is back that
migration plan is on hold....

Frankly I might have to bite the bullet on mailman due to the
illumos.org abmin being on hiatus so that we at least have something.
Although Pony mail seems to be a solution? I'll have to play around with
it but I might be able to make it work.

Let's see.

-Till