[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing smaller rpool SSD with bigger one - best praxis

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Fri Mar 10 06:54:17 UTC 2023

Because initially Predrag Zečević asked about ZFS with ashift 9 and ashift 12, I think this the same as

https://www.illumos.org/issues/5242

"zpool won't allow attachment of larger sector drive to mirror"

I was not aware of "zdb -C rpool" the value "ashift".

According to:

https://jrs-s.net/2018/08/17/zfs-tuning-cheat-sheet/

"Ashift tells ZFS what the underlying physical block size your disks use is. It’s in bits, so ashift=9 means 512B sectors (used by all ancient drives), ashift=12 means 4K sectors (used by most modern hard drives), and ashift=13 means 8K sectors (used by some modern SSDs)."

So I think the question that is being asked here is whether you can mirror between drives of different sector size.

According to https://www.illumos.org/issues/5242 which is flagged as 'open' this is not the case.

Regards,
David Stes