[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot hangs after configuring devices (last notice is of pseudo devices

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Tue Mar 21 22:09:28 UTC 2023

On 3/21/23 20:53, Richard Lowe wrote:
> A good thing to do is to get into mdb when it's hung, and see where we
> are with the ::stacks command.
> https://illumos.org/books/dev/debugging.html  has other tips.
>
> I would add if you set the 1 bit of `moddebug` when you're in kmdb (I
> think moddebug/W 80000001 is verbose and stop on _init, but I tend to
> forget), we will stop whenever a module `_init` is called, which can
> be a good trick to try to narrow down where things might have gone
> wrong if we don't respond to any means to get into kmdb.
>
> More manually, an illumos version which works and one which doesn't
> work will narrow down which illumos changes might have caused
> problems.

Hello!

Thanks for your input. I tried the kmdb switched on on boot,
with ::cont i have the same situation that i can't escape the running
process to get the ::stack

Comparing the boot messages of the working BE and the not-working one,
it stops between these two pseudo-devices:

<snip>
Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.notice] pseudo-device:
signalfd0
*Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.notice] signalfd0 is
/pseudo/signalfd at 0*
Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.notice] pseudo-device:
timerfd0
Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.notice] timerfd0 is
/pseudo/timerfd at 0
<snip>

The line with "*signalfd0 is /pseudo/signalfd at 0*" is the last output,
then nothing more happens.

Now i was able to enable kmdb. i found processes, stacks related to my
USB keyboard, apix_no_interrupt,..
would be nice if i knew what to search for :-) how to find and select
the right thread and then get the stack??

Regards,

Stephan