[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot hangs after configuring devices (last notice is of pseudo devices

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Wed Mar 22 19:53:17 UTC 2023

On 3/22/23 10:42, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 21/03/2023 23:09, Stephan Althaus wrote:
>> On 3/21/23 20:53, Richard Lowe wrote:
>>> A good thing to do is to get into mdb when it's hung, and see where we
>>> are with the ::stacks command.
>>> https://illumos.org/books/dev/debugging.html  has other tips.
>>>
>>> I would add if you set the 1 bit of `moddebug` when you're in kmdb (I
>>> think moddebug/W 80000001 is verbose and stop on _init, but I tend to
>>> forget), we will stop whenever a module `_init` is called, which can
>>> be a good trick to try to narrow down where things might have gone
>>> wrong if we don't respond to any means to get into kmdb.
>>>
>>> More manually, an illumos version which works and one which doesn't
>>> work will narrow down which illumos changes might have caused
>>> problems.

>> Hello!
>>
>> Thanks for your input. I tried the kmdb switched on on boot,
>> with ::cont i have the same situation that i can't escape the running
>> process to
>> get the ::stack
>>
>> Comparing the boot messages of the working BE and the not-working
>> one, it stops
>> between these two pseudo-devices:
>>
>> <snip>
>> Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.notice]
>> pseudo-device: signalfd0
>> *Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.notice] signalfd0 is
>> /pseudo/signalfd at 0*
>> Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.notice]
>> pseudo-device: timerfd0
>> Mar 21 22:19:56 dell7720 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.notice] timerfd0 is
>> /pseudo/timerfd at 0
>> <snip>
>>
>> The line with "*signalfd0 is /pseudo/signalfd at 0*" is the last output,
>> then
>> nothing more happens.
>

> You can pin that down to timerfd if you just mount the new BE and
> move away /usr/kernel/drv/amd64/timerfd and see if it then boots.
>
> Consult 'man timerfd' to convince yourself that that driver is
> irrelevant to illumos...

Hello!

I followed your hint and removed timerfd, and uninstalled smartmontools
in the new BE but no change.

I looked around a bit more with the help of ::dcmds and found all sort
of drivers, threads, tasks, it seems that rpool/ is mounted, (how can i
verify?)
  almost everything i think of is there (sort of) - and no word of errors..

I just can't find a reason why it is not "going on everything looks fine..."

Regards,

Stephan