[OpenIndiana-discuss] Best way to install rsync

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 15:37:40 UTC 2023

Am 31.03.23 um 16:50 schrieb Michelle:
> No worries...
>
> pkg install rsync
>
> It was already in the library!  I should have tried that first.
You can always search for things in different ways, eg.
pkg list -a|grep rsync

Furthermore, I would like to remind that we have some documentation
online, eg.
https://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#image-package-system-ips
has a section named "Searching for packages".
Plus, we have not only our ordinary package repository but also the
encumbered one with packages that might have some restrictions (eg.
ffmpeg and gstreamer plugins).
Encumbered is not suited for servers but for desktop usage, that is,
most (if not all) packages provide multimedia extensions.

For me it's always irritating when people write about building their own
software for their systems and don't consider contributing to the project.
OpenIndiana is in desparate need for people helping packaging software
and documenting the system. At the moment the burden of this is taken by
just a few.
By the way, you don't need to be a software developer to create or
update packages. The most important thing you'll need is the will and
dedication to learn the build system.

Andreas