[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI without a console?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue May 9 13:32:25 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 03:52:25PM +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:

> Quite annoying!  Maybe someone on this list knows what sort of KVM switch
> might provide enough for a HDMI card to behave at boot time?  I don't know
> the terminology, so search engines are not being kind! I'd really like to be
> able to use one.

I recently converted from a VGA/USB KVM to an HDMI/USB KVM switch.
The new one works with Winows 10 and OI.  My three OI systems already
had HDMI ports.  The Windows system had only VGA and DP ports.  I had
to obtain a DP to HDMI adapter for that one.  You need some sort of
digital video port for all systems.

I use this KVM now:

    https://www.newegg.ca/p/1DJ-00Z4-00038?Item=9SIAKFBJRX0258

Beware that you need to boot OI systems twice before the keyboard and
mouse will work.  Alternatively, you can replace the second boot with
just temporarly switching the KVM to a different system.