[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cups problems

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue May 16 16:58:26 UTC 2023

On 5/16/23 09:37, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> I've found a few problems with cups
>
> 1) it wants system/volatile/cups, but /system/volatile doesn't exist.
>     Works if created manually and restart cups/in-lpd and /scheduler.
>     Either system/volatile should be created somehow after boot before
>     cups starts, or cups should be patched to put that into /var/run/cups;
>     but...

On Solaris, /etc/svc/volatile and /var/run were combined & renamed into
/system/volatile and a symlink made from /var/run to /system/volatile for
backwards compatibility, but I didn't think illumos/OI had made that change.
(While Solaris made the change in the 11.0 release, it happened in snv_159,
after the ON source releases ended.)

The OI makefile seems to have copied the --with-rundir=/system/volatile/cups
from the Solaris makefile though, which may be a mistake:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/print/cups/Makefile#L66

https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/blob/master/components/cups/Makefile#L59

> 2) ... it wants /var/run/cups/, but that doesn't exist. Should be created
>     when it installs.

Both /var/run & /system/volatile are tmpfs filesystems, so are recreated
empty from scratch on every boot and services using them need to create
any subdirectories they need (whether in the daemon code or the service
method startup script) - packages can't install files or directories there
since they'll disappear on reboot.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris