[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg folder size escalated

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Thu May 18 09:47:03 UTC 2023

Am 18.05.23 um 11:39 schrieb Goetz T. Fischer:
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 11:59:52 +0300, Toomas Soome via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> those numbers are meaningless without checking what is inside of those files.
> sure, but only to some extend. it's both ips. unless of course illumos did a massive rewrite there and
> just kept the name for historical reasons. and the options and the messages and the package format and
> ... you get the idea :-)
>
>> illumos (openindiana) is not solaris. The systems are different and we are not intending
>> to be free clone of Solaris.
> i know what illumos is and where it came from and i didn't imply it had to be the same either. my
> question was about the size of the pkg folder and that i think it's too big. which then turned out to be
> right considering the solution with flush-content-cache-on-success and its result. the latter should be
> True by default if i may suggest that.
> as for the size, i think even the original solaris pkg folder is too big for that number of packages.
> looking at rhel for example i see 65mb for 485 packages. of course that depends on what packages they
> are but it does give a rough estimate.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Nevertheless is openindiana a
community project.
So you are free to help us improving it.
Stating shortfalls is a beginning but you have better chances to enhance
oi if you provide changes in form of PR's.
At the moment we have only roughly a handfull of people caring for
oi-userland.
As I have stated before you don't need to be a developer in order to
help maintaining openindiana.

Andreas