[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg folder size escalated

Goetz T. Fischer g.fischer at r-a-c.de
Thu May 18 20:53:26 UTC 2023

On Thu, 18 May 2023 11:47:03 +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> You are comparing apples to oranges

i'm comparing package managers and i see that for roughly the same kind and number of packages the local
indiana folder takes much more space than others. in my humble opinion too much space. why that is and
whether that's for good reason or not is of course debatable.
what i dare to criticize however is that the default setting makes the folder in question grow more or
less infinitely which is lacking in practical relevance.

On Thu, 18 May 2023 12:53:48 +0200, Till Wegmüller wrote:
> The specific difference you are describing is purely due to our package
> manifests not having received a major update to split up SUNWCS.

much thanks for the insight!

> We would be quite happy if somebody started carrying the torch in
> bringing those package manifest changes upstream into illumos from
> illumos-omnios.

what would be required to do so?