[OpenIndiana-discuss] Revisiting a KVM switch issue

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Sun Nov 12 22:23:00 UTC 2023

G'day,
A couple of years ago now (202109) I managed to break an install of OI
Hipster on a reasonably modern desktop motherboard, when I tried to use
a cheapy KVM switch on it once I put it into my data rack. The thing
would not boot (or at least, I couldn't see it on the KVM switch and it
didn't respond to SSH etc). It had been fine on my workbench with a
screen plugged directly into the HDMI port on it. The box has an intel
i5-10400F - which doesn't have graphics built in, and an NVidia 1030 PCI
graphics card, with an HDMI and DVI port on it.

Anyway ..
I managed to get it to boot up with an HDMI "dummy" plugged into it, and
haven't really looked at it since, it just sits in the rack with a few
VirtualBox VM's running and it's happy. Every now and then I consider
pkg updating it to the latest but get spooked by reports (and my own
experience of late) of image-updates locking systems on reboot and
needing to be backed out to come up.  So it just runs and will do so
until I replace the hardware in a couple of years.  It never falters,
Solaris post 2.x is, as we know, about as close to bombproof as it gets
(I have, still in the shrinkwrap, a Solaris 2.0 release CD, not game to
open it up in case it escapes into the wild ... the horror! I had to use
Solaris 2.2 in production in the mid 90's, and it was -terrible-, it
wasn't until 2.5.x that it was stable enough to be considered for real
work. OMFG early SVR4 Solaris was garbage!)

carl at skaro:~$ uname -a
SunOS skaro 5.11 illumos-4f9241761d i86pc i386 i86pc

Every now and then I get a bee in my bonnet and I think I'd like to have
a KVM switch on it and its sister next to it, but am concerned that it
would break again.  I have a cheapy HDMI KVM switch, one of those
passive ones that seem to be little more than a switch (less than a
hundred bucks, it's not got much going on!). These simple, cheap ones
used to work pretty well with VGA stuff, but some HDMI things get upset
about them, including lightDM/Xorg on OI.

So I wonder what the problem was?

If there's nothing plugged in to the HDMI port, Lightdm panics and locks
up the kernel, and the box needed a reconfigure of the BIOS(!) to get it
going. I put it all in an email thread on this mailing list at the time.
It was/is probably some bug in the NVidia driver, but that's a closed
thing and we can't look into it, so it stays.

So I wonder, if I got a smarter KVM switch that does proper EDID stuff,
would it work in the same sense as the HDMI dummy plug and the box would
survive with a KVM switch attached? Would make occasional touching of
the console a lot easier!

A decent one that mentions EDID in its doco is around $500 AUD or so for
a two port'er so they're not cheap, anyone here used one and knows if it
works?

Thank you,

Carl