[OpenIndiana-discuss] NUC boot

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon Oct 30 10:27:37 UTC 2023

> On 30. Oct 2023, at 12:06, James via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
> On 30/10/2023 09:48, Toomas Soome wrote:
>
>> are those sdhost0 messages also present with omnios?
>
> Yes, however it then scans for media and finds.  See image.

What is difference there is ‘Configuring devices’ line which is present with omnios, but missing with OI. It means that OI boot is just missing the device nodes to scan.

>> The problem with OI install media is that the program to discover removable media is somewhat fragile and if it will fail, the install media mount will fail and everything else with it…
>
> The silly thing is it has already read the USB and opened a text console on the screen to show me that it can read the USB.  Oh dear!

The kernel and “miniroot”  — thats what the boot_archive actually is are loaded by boot loader and boot loader is using firmware functions to do that (BIOS INT13 or UEFI Block IO). But once we start the kernel, we depend on OS drivers and features and at this stage, there is a problem with those.

rgds,
toomas