[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMB NFS not sure where to go

Goetz T. Fischer g.fischer at r-a-c.de
Tue Sep 26 10:48:41 UTC 2023

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:30:53 +0100, Michelle wrote:
> Good suggestion. I'll research NFS again, see if I can remember where I
> got to, and give it another try.
>
> On Sun, 2023-09-24 at 22:10 +0200, Goetz T. Fischer wrote:
>> mount -o ro

in short, you would mount the share in question normally like: mount 1.2.3.4:/share /mnt/share
after you're done: umount /mnt/share
and mount again read-only for safety: mount -o ro 1.2.3.4:/share /mnt/share

no need for a different user in this case either because read-only mounts are global. not only nfs but
mounts in general.

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:30:14 +0100, Michelle wrote:
> True, but if the problem is not investigated then it will never be
> solved.

not necessarily. it could be an unintended side effect of other changes which could be sorted again by
yet another unrelated change.
i know that sounds a little far fetched but i've seen such cases more than once.