[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit libraries disappearing

Matthew R. Trower dev at blackshard.net
Sat Jan 6 12:17:58 UTC 2024

Apologies, as this has probably been discussed somewhere, but I haven't
found it.  Is there a good way to search the mailing list archives?

Having updated my OI workstation after quite some time, I find myself
with quite a bit of breakage surrounding missing 32-bit libraries.  For
example, libcurl and libcairo (among others) are shipping 64-bit
libraries only, and this breaks various third party software.  More
critically, libsqlite3 is shipping 64-bit only, and this is breaking
certutil(mozilla-nss), which breaks ldapclient(!).

Searching through the package database, they appear to just be gone:

===

mtrower at saturn:~$ pkg search basename:libsqlite3.so
INDEX      ACTION VALUE                       PACKAGE
basename   link   usr/lib/amd64/libsqlite3.so
pkg:/database/sqlite-3 at 3.44.2-2023.0.0.0

===

And indeed, the release announcements show that various libraries have
been stripping out 32-bit support.

There is this notice on the Downloads page:

> From 2017.04 onwards running on 32-bit systems is not supported  > anymore and the userland is being migrated progressively to 64-bit >
only. As usual 32-bit libraries and core applications are still >
delivered and maintained for the sake of backward compatibility (but >
only when running a 64-bit kernel).

which is well and good --- but then why are 32-bit libraries being
slowly excised?  Especially libraries which are needed by illumos-gate?

-- Matthew R. Trower