[OpenIndiana-discuss] running sunpro binaries

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue Jan 9 22:34:47 UTC 2024

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 at 13:37, Goetz T. Fischer <g.fischer at r-a-c.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:40:53 +0100, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> > elfedit -e 'cap:hw2 -and -cmp rdseed' <file>
>
> much thanks to you as well. both, this or setting LD_HWCAP, work like a charm!
>
> > For C/C++, I would absolutely prefer gcc/g++
>
> why?

As mentioned in the thread already, binaries for Oracle Solaris 11 are
not compatible with illumos.  Sometimes they _appear_ to work, but
this is at best by accident; in the worst case the software may end up
doing something that will cause potentially silent data corruption,
etc.

If the Studio binaries you're using were not built on a Solaris
release from before Oracle made their fork from OpenSolaris, then the
Studio binaries are themselves not compatible.  Even if they appear to
work, there should be no expectation that they will produce correct
binaries for an illumos system.

We used to use, or at least allow people to use, Studio to build and
lint parts of illumos itself.  The version of Studio we were using is
at this point truly ancient, and we have long since told people to
stop using it (and removed things like lint support from the OS
build).

In general, I would advise you to use up-to-date tool chains (whether
open source or proprietary) that have been specifically built for, and
tested on, an illumos system.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow