[OpenIndiana-discuss] running sunpro binaries

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Jan 9 22:43:19 UTC 2024

On 09/01/2024 22:37, Goetz T. Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:40:53 +0100, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> elfedit -e 'cap:hw2 -and -cmp rdseed' <file>
>
> much thanks to you as well. both, this or setting LD_HWCAP, work like a charm!
>
>> For C/C++, I would absolutely prefer gcc/g++
>
> why?

As said. the old sunpro doesn't support modern standards,
and the newer ones that do are not binary compatible anymore;
and for C++, it causes issues with lousily written packages
to not compile without nontrivial patches, while gcc just
happily let them through, see:
<https://www.oracle.com/application-development/te>chnologies/developerstudio-cplusplus-faq.html#Coding10>

The other culprit is the standards-required name-mangling
uniqueness for each compiler, which don't let you mix
C++ libraries from different brands to be called from one
program (which was dropped from later C++ standards),
which then requires you to have more than one C++ brand
of libraries at hand to link (this was one of the obstacles
to solve to get python scipy/numpy linked when using the Sun
F90 compiler for the LAPACK/BLAS libraries, which took a lot
of tinkering with the python toolchain on an old oi151a9).

So if you don't have specific requirements forced on you
by already existing libraries using the sunpro stuff,
I would recommend to always go with the gcc/g++ tools.

Didn't use clang/llvm, so can't say much about that.