[OpenIndiana-discuss] running sunpro binaries

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jan 9 22:57:11 UTC 2024

On 1/9/24 14:50, Goetz T. Fischer wrote:
> yes okay, compatibility reasons. but my question was: "does it still make sense to use sunpro
> performance wise?"

For SPARC?  Probably.  Much more effort went into SPARC performance for
the Studio compilers than for gcc or llvm.

For x86? Maybe not.  Studio only knows about x86 CPUs up to the Skylake
generation, while Intel has contributed code to gcc & llvm for newer processors,
and both of those compilers have continued to improve their optimizers in other
ways as well.

But really, the only way to tell for your code is to compile & measure your
code with the compilers in question.

	-alan-