[OpenIndiana-discuss] Questions about /var/pkg

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 11:42:38 UTC 2024

Hi Mathew

It is a special statement for /var/pkg/publisher you will get stale data
due to how the Metadata download process works. This directory MUST
always go forward in time from it's perspective. Meaning it MUST be
inside the Boot Environment. At least as long as nobody rewrites that :)

I can give you some details on the process if needed. But the gist is
that there are pre split JSON files pkg downloads and merged into the
existing metadata under the publisher. Then it merged that into the
global cache. Nobody has ever tested if IPS has a detection mechanism if
there are stale files in this directory. This is fully undocumented
territory as it was done in the last days of OpenSolaris. OmniOS IPS
might have such detections now but somebeody(Maybe you?) would need to
merge in that version of IPS. Solaris IPS is also open and wen could
cherry-pick from there if we want [0]. I do not know which IPS Helios is
using but i would assume OmniOS's one. In any case you can make a full
cache refresh with `pkg refresh --full` and sometimes that is needed to
recover from situations where the cache is broken.

As side note there was a project to merge the IPS forks but it hit my
ENOTIME. If you want to pick that up and make improvements on the
metadata process I am happy to help.

-Till

[0] https://github.com/oracle/solaris-ips