[OpenIndiana-discuss] Questions about /var/pkg

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at hamachi.org
Sat Jan 13 23:36:40 UTC 2024

On 1/13/24 15:20, Andreas Wacknitz via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Am 14.01.24 um 00:13 schrieb Goetz T. Fischer:
>> i'm afraid making ips fast needs more than just a cython module here
>> and there.
>> don't get me wrong, that's not indiana's fault but a genernal ips
>> issue. maybe having a closer look at
>> mr. Wegmueller's go version would be a good idea after all.
> If you want to make IPS fast you will probably need more than switching
> the implementation language.
> As Aurélien mentioned, IPS is using a SAT solver. So it might be
> necessary to also change the algorithms.
> Are you sure that you can devote enough time to achieve real advantages?

Any such effort should start by profiling to see where the time actually
goes - don't assume the SAT solver is eating it all.  My casual pokes at
it showed a lot of time going into manipulating the on-disk metadata,
with a lot of short write() syscalls instead of using buffered I/O - but
that may not have been a representative sampling of where the time goes.

					- Bill